These are some saying that have been heard at OA meetings and other 12-step program meetings for many years:
Heard at the OA Birthday Party in Los Angeles:
- If you don't want to have to turn it over, don't pick it up.
- There is a bottom below that the bottom I know.
- Zero is easier than one.
- If you can take it or leave it, you can have it.
- OA is not about losing weight just as AA is not about rehabilitating livers.
- A decision without action is a fantasy.
- Insanity is the inability to remember with sufficient force the pain and suffering caused by compulsive overeating.
Other wisdom heard at 12-Step Meetings that are not exactly "sayings":
- Living in the present means not having conversations with people who are not in the room.
- Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
- Failing to plan is planning to fail.
- As a compulsive overeater, if I make food an option, it will always be the only option.
- Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift - that's why they call it the Present.
- On Steps 6/7: I am convinced God removes my character defects by making them glaringly obvious when I engage in them - unlike before the program when I was oblivious to them.
- If you focus on the weight, you will lose the recovery; if you focus on the recovery, you will lose the weight.
- The symptom is physical, the problem is emotional, the solution is spiritual.
- It is Alcoholism, not Alcoholwasm
- You only have to change one thing - that is everything.
- For every diet there is an equal but opposite binge.
- ISM = Incredibly Short Memory.
- The will of God will not lead me where the Grace of God will not protect me.
- You can be right or you can be happy.
- We come to the program to feel better.
We feel anger better
We feel sadness better
We feel all the other emotions better
And, eventually, we feel joy better too.